Fitzpatrick, Skemp & Associates, LLC
No Fees Unless We Win Free Consultation
608-406-2282 866-821-1345
Serving Injured And Disabled Clients In Minnesota and Wisconsin

Factors affecting pedestrian accidents

Being the pedestrian is one of the most vulnerable positions to occupy when involved in a car accident. The outcome for those not inside a vehicle depends on several factors, including the person's age, gender and intoxication level. The time of day, impact point and vehicle type can also play a role in how severe the injuries are.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Association states that 14 percent of all traffic fatalities were pedestrians in 2013. This means that a pedestrian is injured in a motor vehicle crash every eight minutes and killed every two hours. While the number of deaths decreased slightly to 4,735 in 2013 from 4,818 in 2012, pedestrian fatalities still make up a large part of total traffic deaths. Here are several of the contributing factors and how they affect this type of accident.

Pedestrian age

Researchers found that 21 percent of all children under the age of 14 who were killed in traffic accidents were pedestrians, but only 5 percent of pedestrian fatalities were children. The majority of the victims were the elderly, with 19 percent of deaths occurring in those over the age of 65. Children and the elderly also seem to be the most susceptible to injuries, with 10 percent of all injuries occurring in those over 65, and 9 percent happening to kids ages 10 to 14.

Alcohol use

While most people realize the dangers of drunk driving, intoxicated pedestrians are also more likely to be involved in traffic accidents. Drivers had a blood alcohol concentration of over 0.08 percent in only 15 percent of incidents, while pedestrians surpassed that BAC in 34 percent of pedestrian crashes. In total, 49 percent, or almost half, of all incidents involved either a driver or pedestrian with a BAC over the legal limit.

Time of day

When it comes to pedestrian accidents, the time of day also plays a significant role. Almost half of all accidents, or 49 percent, happened between 6 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. The middle of the day, from 9 a.m. till 3 p.m., accounted for only 11 percent of all pedestrian accidents. The day of the week also made a difference, with weekend rates ranking higher than weekday in almost every time slot.

Location

There are also several location factors that affect the rate of pedestrian accidents. Rural areas only experienced 27 percent of accidents, and intersections accounted for just 20 percent. The bulk of the incidents were reported in urban areas at non-intersections.

If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, an experienced lawyer can help you receive any compensation to cover injuries and bills. Contact an attorney today to start on the road to physical and financial recovery.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

The Mission Starts With A Free Consultation

We handle most cases on a contingency basis. We will not ask you to pay any fees unless we are successful in getting you compensation. If you have questions or would like to learn more about how we can help you, call us at 608-406-2282, or toll free at 866-821-1345. You can also reach us by completing our online contact form to discuss your case with an experienced La Crosse personal injury attorney.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Fitzpatrick, Skemp & Associates, LLC
123 7th St S
La Crosse, WI 54601

Toll Free: 866-821-1345
Phone: 608-406-2282
Fax: 608-784-4908
La Crosse Law Office Map